What can I do myself to prevent high ozone concentrations?
As already mentioned in the answer to another question, complex computer models tell us ozone pollution will only decrease when:
1. the emission of ozone precursors gets drastically decreased (by 60-70%)!
2. these measures are not only taken in Belgium but in the whole of Europe!
3. measures are not only taken during ozone peaks, but during the whole year!
Everyone can contribute to this by for example:
- making less trips by car and by using public transport more often.
- going by foot or by bike for short distances.
- keeping to the speed limits and avoiding 'sporty' driving (fast accelerations, high engine speeds).
- taking into account 'ecofriendliness' when purchasing a new car.
- using as little solvent-based paints as possible and instead using waterbased paints.
- using an economical heating system with high returns.